Please note: We are in the process of revising this page to contain better and more fully-fleshed out information. Policies are correct and updated as of June 2014. We are hoping to be able to reach out to other libraries and update this information soon. The information below, however, is still reasonably correct. If you are a SWON Member Library and would like to change your information or policies, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for your understanding.
To Obtain Materials from Another Library: Information for Issuing Libraries
Issuing SWON Cards
Most SWON Supporting Member Institutions which loan materials will allow patrons from other Supporting Member libraries to borrow materials and/or obtain a library card for the purpose of borrowing materials.
To get your patrons started with this process, the Issuing Library needs to know a few things:
- SWON has a "SWON Card" or borrowing credential that you may print out (located in the file collection bottom of this page) and give to your patrons to take to other institutions ( hereafter referred to as the "Lending Library"). You may want to print on card stock for durability.
- You will need to write the name of your institution, the date you are issuing the card, and your library's phone number, in case the Lending Library has any questions.
- Your patron will print their name and sign.
- Your patron can then take this card to any participating Lending Library which loans materials (some of our member institutions do not lend out materials at all).
- Ohio & Kentucky Libraries do not have any sort of union catalog, but searches may be conducted via WorldCat.org to ascertain which Lending Libraries might have the materials your patron needs.
- Make sure and call the Lending Library to verify they still own the item as well as its checkout status.
- You may want to establish this library's policies and procedures regarding SWON Cards during this call.
- Your cardholder will present their SWON Card to the Lending Library.
- There is a list of Lending Library Contact and policies below, but it is not comprehensive. Most of our Supporting Members will honor SWON borrowing agreements, but if you are unsure, contact the library.
- Many of our Lending Libraries will also accept a valid library card from another Supporting Member Institution as "proof" that the borrower is a cardholder from a SWON Institution and will not require a SWON card, however this policy varies. You may want to issue a SWON Card as a precaution.
- Your patron may need to show photo ID when presenting the SWON Card to a Lending Library.
- Libraries don't see a lot of these cards, so if the Lending Library has questions, refer them to us at email@example.com, call us at 513-751-4422
- If we are unavailable, you may attempt to get in touch the person listed as the Contact on the list below or you may find it helpful to refer anyone with questions to this webpage at swon.li/swoncard
Returning Items, Policies, Fines & Fees
- Lending Libraries may have specific restrictions for SWON borrowers such as yearly expiration dates on cards, reduced borrowing times or reduced item limits. These policies are set by the institutions and may change at any time. There are files containing the most current policies we have been given below.
- Patrons are responsible for returning the items to the Lending Library and are subject to any fees and fines for late or damaged items per the Lending Library's policy.
To Lend Materials to SWON Cardholders (Lending Libraries)
Most SWON Supporting Member Institutions which loan materials will issue a library card to any cardholder from another SWON Member Institution. Your library's polices may be contained in the file collections below, but these may change at any time. If you are unsure, you may want to contact the person listed in the Contact List in the file collection below, or whomever is responsible for you ILL policy.
Accepting a SWON Card
- When presented with a SWON Card (you can see what that looks like in the file collection below), you may ask for photo ID.
- To check out items to a SWON cardholder, you may use any method you like to issue borrowing privileges to the patron.
- Most libraries simply create a new library card per their library's usual methods.
- You may also use the SWON card itself as the library card.
- Some institutions simply place a barcode and (if applicable) and expiration date on the back of the card.
- You may use any method you choose to designate the SWON card as the patron's library card.
- You may use any other methods according to library policy to lend materials to SWON cardholders.
- If you have any questions, you may contact us us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us at 513-751-4422 or call the phone number of the Issuing Library as listed on the SWON Card
Lending to SWON Cardholders
- You may have specific restrictions for SWON borrowers such as yearly expiration dates on cards, reduced borrowing times or reduced item limits. These policies are set by your institutions and may change at any time. There are files containing the most current policies we have been given below.
- Patrons are responsible for returning the items to the your library and are subject to any fees and fines for late or damaged items as per policy.
Questions & Updating Your Library's Information
If you have any question or concerns about the process, would like to confirm your library's participation is our Borrowing Agreement, would like to change your library's contact for our Borrowing Agreement or otherwise make any changes in your library's Borrowing Agreement procedures, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 513-751-4422