Join Melanie for the Supervisor's Tool Kit at Hebrew Union College on February 10th from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm.
New Supervisor's Tool Kit: One-Day Workshop
For new supervisors, or those in your supervisor pipeline.
Supervisors must balance a variety of competing priorities. Fortunately, the necessary skills of an effective supervisor can be learned. In this one-day program you will learn about the five key supervisory skills and have a chance to put them into practice during a game simulation. We'll also complete a self-evaluation relating to the five skills and you'll develop a plan of action by the end of the day that relates to the skills you'd like to most improve in the following 90 days.
Learning Outcomes from the New Supervisor's Tool Kit:
- Understand the role of the supervisor
- Identify five key supervisory skills
- Learn key steps in effective planning
- Learn how to delegate
- Learn ways to handle competing and/or shifting priorities
- Learn about effective goal setting
- Learn how to get results with your team
The Five Key Supervisory Skills
The ability to balance the goals of the organization with the needs of work group is the common thread that runs through 5 key supervisory skill dimensions. They include:
- Guiding the Work: Taking the direction of the organization and translating it into actionable plans for the work group.
- Organizing the Work: Assigning people, equipment, and tasks to meet work goals.
- Developing Your Staff: Actively working to increase the skill level of each employee being supervised.
- Manage Performance: Setting work quality/quantity expectations, monitoring progress, providing feedback and coaching.
- Managing Relations: Developing and maintaining good relationships with other groups so that the supervisor's employees and the organization meet their goals.
9:00 - 9:30 am Workshop Introduction and Opening Activity
9:30 - 10:05 am Supervisory Skills Questionnaire
10:05 - 10:20 am 15-minute break
10:20 - 11:35 am Flight from Savo
11:35 - 11:40 am Participant Reflection
11:40 - 11:50 am The Five Supervisory Skills
11:50 - 12:05 pm Debrief
12:05 - 1:05 pm Lunch
1:05 - 1:20 pm Scoring and Charting the Supervisory Skills Questionnaire
1:20 - 1:25 pm What Do Your Scores Mean?
1:25 - 1:55 pm A Closer Look at the Supervisory Skills
1:55 - 2:00 pm Introduction to the Five Supervisory Skills Activities
2:00 - 2:15 pm 15-minute break
2:15 - 4:45 pm Five Supervisory Skills Activities
4:45 - 5:00 pm Summary and Close
Melanie's Bio: Melanie Blau McDonald joined SWON in 2011 as Executive Director. Along with the Executive Board she has led the change in SWON's services and structure to better serve the current needs of our region's libraries. She earned her MLIS from the University of Illinois in 2006 after an extensive business career which included responsibility for training supervisors and managers for a service company.
Employees of Supporting Member Libraries: $50
Geographic Members: $100
Out-Of-State Members: $150
Mayerson Hall Auditorium. There will be free parking in the front and back.
Click here to see directions to Hebrew Union College.